Help your students master the foundations of fourth grade language arts in just 10 minutes a day. Grammar, word parts, figurative language, revision, and editing can all be taught without sacrificing your writing block with this simple, easy-to-implement grammar and language resource.
This digital 4th Grade Daily Language Spiral was designed to help teach your students the foundations of language arts using Google Slides that build skills in short, focused chunks of time.
Each day's work uses a single slide, and the same five skills spiral throughout the week allowing students to build their confidence and independence.
Friday's work can be used as a formative assessment, giving you a chance to identify any students who may need additional support with these basic skills.
Your download includes:
✔ Digital Daily Language Spiral Guide
✔ 36 weeks of standards-aligned spiral language practice on Google Slides
✔ Scope & sequence
✔ Answer keys
✔ Access to step-by-step directions for assigning in Google Classroom
1) Student-friendly formatting
- 180 days of clear, easy to read language arts practice
- Skills repeat in varied formats for the whole week to build confidence
- Weekly reflection to encourage goal setting and metacognition
- Provided as a daily Google Slides
2) Approachable practice with key grade-level language standards:
- Nouns & Pronouns - common vs. proper, plurals, possessive, pronouns
- Verbs - helping verbs and action verbs
- Adjectives & Adverbs
- Figurative language - idioms, similes, metaphors, and analogies
- Word Analysis & Spelling - prefixes, suffixes, spelling patterns, vocabulary, syllabification, synonyms & antonyms
- Alphabetizing, Dictionary Skill, & Multiple Meaning Words
- Editing - capitalization, punctuation, commas, dialogue, run-on sentences, titles (songs, books, movies), longer text
- Revising - expanding to add detail, word choice, showing vs. telling emotion
4) Teacher support materials
- Scope & sequence
- Answer Keys for all problems
- Tips for preparation and implementation
Benefits of the Language Spiral Format:
❑ Increase students' confidence with foundational language skills, editing & revising
❑ Build mastery of grade-level language standards in 10-15 minutes a day
❑ Identify misconceptions or skill gaps & address them quickly & effectively
❑ No prep paper-saving format fits on a single page & doesn't overwhelm students
❑ Encourages discussion about skills & strategies
Way to Incorporate this Language Spiral into your ELA Classroom
• Digital classrooms or for home learning
• Interactive whiteboard or projector during the whole or small group writing instruction
• Morning work, a warm-up or bellringer
• Test prep
Here's what teachers & homeschoolers say about this Language Spiral:
♥ Can I just say WOW! This is such a great resource and it serves my writing class as a great bellringer and skills builder. It is interactive and allows the students to become more familiar with Google slides. Loving this and is worth every penny! - Alfonso M.
♥ This is amazing! We have covered so many different topics already this year that it took forever to get to last year. Thank you! - Mary S.
♥ Other morning work I have purchased takes my students too long to complete. My school serves breakfast, which takes some students a while to finish, and it always seems like I have a thousand things to do in the morning. I love how this resource offers the chance to review essential skills without taking 20 minutes. Thanks!! - Hannah N.
♥ This resource has been fantastic to use with my students in distance learning. I am so impressed with the formatting of the slides. I love how the concepts are reinforced M-F. I use these daily as warm-ups for ELA. They have also helped me identify some areas that my students needed more support in, such as understanding parts of speech, that I might not have known about had we not done these daily warm-ups. I will be using these with my class again next year even though we will be in person! – Nicole H.
♥ These are amazing! I started using them halfway through the year when I found this resource since my other daily entry wasn't working. It connects great with the growth mindset activities I've been starting to incorporate into the classroom! Thank you for this great, confidence-building activity for my students to engage in each day! :) - F.F.
♥ “I love this and have been using it all year, the students quickly fall into a routine and do the work. At the beginning of the week, I often explain what some of the questions are about, but that is teaching! I have planned my grammar unit around this resource so we are learning verbs etc when the daily work is asking us for it – Kariann J.
♥ “This is a wonderful source that engages my students while slowly building from the activities prior. It breaks down the standards needed and it even provides a teacher outline so you can map out the future. It love this resource and would 10/10 recommend!!” - Amanda H.
© Rebecca Davies. All rights reserved by the author. These materials are intended for personal use by a single classroom only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. For use in multiple classrooms, please purchase additional licenses. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. See product file for clip art and font credits.